September 12, 2009

Major Daddy Love

Brian and Ellie have developed a love affair so strong that I can no longer compete. Many mothers wiser than me have mentioned that this is the perfect time for that to happen--in preparation for the baby coming in December. Of course she is still affectionate to me and always happy to see me when I am gone for a bit; but Daddy is her heartbeat. Every morning we review, "Daddy working today?" Yep, Daddy had to go to work today. "Daddy will be home at dinnertime?" Yes, he will. This same conversation is often repeated 2-3 times a day. She also likes to remind me of their love... (sigh) "Mommy, Daddy really misses me." I know sweetie and I bet you miss him too. For a while Daddy was the fun parent while I was, what Brian and I called, her security blanket. When she got hurt or when she woke in the middle of the night it was "Mommy!" that she called for. Nope, this too is slowly changing. The other night she flipped off the couch without catching her fall and hit her head terribly hard. I was ok for the first minute or two but through her tears she said, "I want Daddy." About 80% of the time I am comforted by this powerful bond they are developing. For three years now she has been connected to me in a way that is hardly describable in words. Brian is such a loving, gentle, sweet father that he deserves to know what it feels like in the pit of your stomach when your baby girl cries out for you and only you. Also, the strengthening bond is totally logical. I was so sick for the first four months of this pregnancy that even I was bored by my own miserable self. Then just as I was feeling better new rules began--no more carrying her up the stairs, no more climbing through all the tubes at the playground, lots of time when Mommy has to sit and rest. Ellie just drinks-in Brian's physical love (and energy) all weekend long. The other 20% of the time I am a little lonesome for this esteemed spot in her heart. But, I know that this new baby will need me the way Ellie has needed me for the next three years, and there isn't another person in the world I'd rather have her feel pulled to than her amazing Daddy.






1 comment:

Stan and Jess said...

I love the body paint picture! Fred went the opposite, of all about daddy, then to mommy after I got tough with discipline (which how weird is that) and not we are equal. I still have head band but I promise I will get out in the mail.